Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Independent Service Reflection

The Mirror

Will these experiences change the way you act or think in the future?

Well a lot of my independent hours were spent with my grand mother who is 90 years old. She gets very lonely being so old so I spent a lot of time with her to keep her company. We did things like talking about old family memories, watching TV, making art projects together, eating, and even dancing. I think this experience will help me in the future because I know that when I get old I am not going to want to be forgotten so now I am being more patient with elderly people because I know it must be hard for them. Before I used to just do my own thing but now I see that they are still people who have feelings and like to have fun.

The Microscope

How does this experience compliment or contrast with what you do in class?

Well the other half of my service hours were spent doing runs with student runs Philly style. One run that I did was the Clean air run. The run was supposed to get people involved in the environment by getting together and running. This complements what we did in class because we are working on recycling and that is for the environment. We also want to get people together to educate them about what recycling can do for our city and world.

The Binoculars

How will service learning change your future behaviors/attitudes/and career?

Service learning has already begun to change my behavior and attitudes toward recycling. Now I feel so guilty about every piece of trash I have that is not being recycled. I look at all the wasted papers we get in class and wish that I could just recycle it all. Something really has to happen in our school. Too many good materials are being wasted that could be reused. I would definitely work for recycling again next year if it would mean that we could start our own program.

No comments: